Diversity and Inclusion
The Chemical Engineering Department at the University of Washington has a long tradition of openness and innovation. We recognize and value the perspectives and contributions that everyone, including women, ethnic and racial minorities, LGBTQ+, differently-abled, veterans, and under-served individuals can bring to our discipline. We actively advance the inclusion and representation of these groups, whose views, goals and participation enrich and enhance UW ChemE’s mission to create knowledge and solutions for a changing world
Advancing Diversity and Inclusion in ChemE
ChemE is actively engaged in the recruitment and support of diverse students, faculty and staff through outreach, advising, participation in diversity fairs, conferences, funding and more:
- Creation and participation in a variety of outreach activities, including our “Introduce a Girl to” series run by Women in Chemical Engineering at UW, and “Expand Your Horizons” events run by the Expand Your Horizons Network.
- ChemE labs partner with high school and undergraduate student programs throughout the UW GenOM Project / ALVA and Clean Energy ALVA, WiSE UP - Women in Science & Engineering, Math Academy, and UW STEM Prep in partnership with the Distance Learning Center.
- Recruitment at local and national graduate and diversity fairs, including SHPE, SACNAS, NSBE, and SWE.
- Faculty participation in ADVANCE peer mentoring and mentoring-to-leadership lunches and workshops.
- Support for students coming from diverse educational backgrounds, including community college transfer students and veteran students.
- Guidance for students in joining research groups with faculty, participating in special design projects with an entrepreneurial focus, and having meaningful educational experiences and connections.
- Department-wide participation in Engineering Discovery Days, with over 8 booths demonstrating ChemE fundamentals to K-8 students.
- Providing a close level of involvement from faculty and advisers to help retain and support students of all backgrounds to succeed in graduation and in pursuing careers beyond UW.
Department Diversity Resources
Women in Chemical Engineering (WChE)
Our department is home to Women in Chemical Engineering WChE (pronounced "Wick-ee") was founded in 2016 with the primary purpose of educating, empowering, and advocating for women in chemical engineering, and their supporters, by providing a safe and open space for dialogue, mentorship, collaboration, camaraderie, and skill building through professional development, community networking, and outreach to primary, secondary, and post-secondary institutions.
Scholarships and Fellowships
UW ChemE is a very economically diverse department and many of our students receive scholarships or graduate fellowships from the department, in addition to funds from UW and the College of Engineering.
Our Undergraduate and Graduate Advisers are members of the UW ChemE Diversity Committee, and provide outreach, support and guidance to our students.
Campus Diversity Resources & Organizations
In addition to ChemE departmental resources, UW ChemE students, faculty, and staff have access to a wide variety of diversity programs and organizations through the College of Engineering and the University of Washington.
College of Engineering and STEM Student Organizations
American Indian Science and Engineering Society
Diversity in Clean Energy (DICE)
National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
Out in STEM (OSTEM)
Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
Society of Asian Scientists & Engineers
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
Women in Chemical Sciences (WCS)
Women in Materials Science & Engineering (WiMSE)
Women in Science & Engineering (WiSE)
College of Engineering ADVANCE Center for Institutional Change
Disability Resources for Students
Engineering Academic Center
Ethnic Cultural Center
Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP)
International Student Services
Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity
Student Financial Aid
Student Parent Resource Center
wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ - Intellectual House
Veteran Student Life
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion News
ChemE Professor Lilo Pozzo leads collaborative efforts to bring low cost and resilient energy systems to health clinics and residents in rural Puerto Rico.
Inspiring Future Engineers
Graduate student Gaby Tosado encourages the next generation of young engineers and scientists
Lilo Pozzo Honored at Latinx Faculty Recognition
Prof. Pozzo recognized for scholarly achievements of Latina and Latino faculty across campus
Women in Chemical Engineering Reflects on a Successful First Year
WChE inspires with outreach, professional development workshops, and the first annual Women In ChemE Industry Panel
UW ChemE - People and Resources Committed to Diversity & Inclusion
The Chemical Engineering department’s work to promote diversity and inclusion involves the effort of many individuals and groups. Faculty, staff, and students, in collaboration with organizations on and off campus work together to improve the culture and environment of our department. The UW ChemE Diversity Committee was formed in 2016 and has involvement from faculty, staff, and students. Current committee members are:
Dr. James Carothers, Faculty | Dr. Bradley Holt, Faculty | Dr. Elizabeth Nance, Faculty | Dr. Lilo Pozzo, Faculty
Allison Sherrill, Graduate Student Adviser | Nicole Minkoff, Undergraduate Adviser | Stephanie Ashby, Asst. to the Chair