Rehnberg Chair Professor of Chemical Engineering
Twitter Handle: @HughHillhouse
Education and Appointments
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Clemson University, 1995
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, 1996
- M.S. Physics, University of Massachusetts, 2000
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 2000
- NSF International Postdoctoral Fellow, Nanoscopic Physics, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2000-2002
- Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, 2002-2007
- Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, 2007-2010
- Visiting Scholar (Sabbatical), National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2008-2009
- Harry A. & Metta R. Rehnberg Chair Professorship, University of Washington, 2010-present
- Solar Energy Conversion (CIGS, CZTS, Hybrid Perovskite, and tandem solar cells, device physics and architecture, simulations)
- Nanomaterials (nanocrystals, nanowires, quantum size effects)
- Colloidal & Interfacial Phenomena (self-assembly, nucleation & growth)
- Electrochemistry (semiconductor electrochemistry, fuel cells, batteries)
Opportunities for Undergraduate, Graduate, and Postdoctoral Researchers
Braly, I.L., deQuilettes, D.W., Pazos-Outón, L.M., Burke, S., Ziffer, M.E., Ginger, D.S., Hillhouse, H.W., “Hybrid Perovskite Films Approaching the Radiative Limit with over 90% Internal Photoluminescence Quantum Efficiency,” Nature Photonics 12 (6), 355-361, (2018). Link to article.
Rajagopal, A., Stoddard, R.J., Jo, S.B., Hillhouse, H.W., Jen, A.K-Y., “Overcoming the Photovoltage Plateau in Large Bandgap Perovskite Photovoltaics,” Nano Letters 18 (6), 3985-3993, (2018). Link to article.
Stoddard, R.J., Eickemeyer, F.T., Katahara, J.K., Hillhouse, H.W., “Correlation between Photoluminescence and Carrier Transport and a Simple In Situ Passivation Method for High-Bandgap Hybrid Perovskites,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 8 (14), 3289-3298, (2017). Link to article. 12 Citations as of 8/6/2018. [Selected as ACS Editor's Choice]
Collord, A.D., Hillhouse, H.W., "Germanium Alloyed Kesterite Solar Cells with Low Voltage Deficits," Chemistry of Materials 28 (7), 2067-2073, (2016). Link to article. 44 Citations as of 8/6/2018.
Xin, H., Vorpahl, S.M., Collord, A.D., Braly, I.L., Uhl, A.R., Krueger, B.W., Ginger, D.S., and Hillhouse, H.W., "Lithium-doping inverts the nanoscale electric field at the grain boundaries in Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 and increases photovoltaic efficiency", Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 17, 23859-23866, (2015). Link to article. 62 Citations as of 8/6/2018.
Ki, W. & Hillhouse,* H.W., “Earth Abundant Element Photovoltaics Directly from Soluble Precursors using a Non-Toxic Solvent,” Advanced Energy Materials 1 (5), 732-735 (2011). Link to article. 242 Citations as of 8/6/2018.
Guo, Q.J., Kim, S.J., Kar, M., Shafarman, W.N., Birkmire, R.W., Stach, E.A., Agrawal, R., Hillhouse, H.W., “Development of CuInSe2 Nanocrystal and Nanoring Inks for Low-Cost Solar Cells,” Nano Letters 8, 9, 2982-2987 (2008). Link to article. 567 Citations as of 8/6/2018.